The goal of Beyond Walls Academics is to help our students achieve college readiness, attainment and success. We accomplish this by combining rigorous academic, athletic, mentoring and life-skill support for our students over the course of their entire middle school, high school and collegiate years.
- 75 minutes of academic support and enrichment per day, 3 days a week, for 33 weeks
- A trained college mentor for every Beyond Walls student
- Individual Learning and Goal Setting Plan for each Beyond Walls student
- On-going academic assessments focused on reading, writing and math
- Consistent communication regarding progress with each student’s advisor and parent/s.
Starting in 6th Grade, students receive academic support led by a licensed teacher and 15 college students (homework help, one-on-one tutoring) and participate in a rigorous academic curriculum that focuses on math (Khan Academy and IXCEL) and literacy foundational skills. Students also take part in community engagement projects, life-skill workshops and a wellness curriculum (Mindset Matters and REACH).
Beyond Walls students start the College Prep Program as freshmen, and continue through all four years of high school. During this time, each student gains exposure to life on a college campus, tournament travel, and enriching summer camps. Students research colleges, attend informational workshops, attend ACT/SAT prep courses, receive academic tutoring and personalized advising, and get help with college, scholarship, and financial aid applications. The ultimate goal of the College Prep program is to ensure that students learn pertinent skills that will help them to establish a successful high school career both academically and socio-emotionally, while promoting the practice with academic skills so they are prepared to succeed in high school, college, and in life.
- 5-6 different college tours per year including both in and out of state
- College Experience Presentations from 15 different current college students
- Individual scholarship application support
- Monthly Individual Progress Check-In’s